Fall is almost here and there’s no shortage of images to snap pictures of in the Puget Sound area.
Well, we’d like all you talented shutterbugs to focus on our ferries because our popular #FerryFotoContest on Twitter is back! We want a fantastic picture to be on the cover of our printed Winter 2020 Sailing Schedule. It's your chance for thousands of people to see your best ferry shot!
How to submit a photo
All you have to do is follow @wsferries on Twitter, then Tweet your picture between noon Monday, Sept. 30, and noon Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. Be sure to include the hashtag #FerryFotoContest. All members of the public except WSDOT employees and contractors are eligible and invited to participate. No fare purchase is required.
|This photo by Jim Reitz won our 2018 ferry photo contest and was on our winter sailing schedule cover.|
Photo requirements and contest rules
We’re not looking for just any old image of a ferry. We want something unique, striking and interesting. You may want to include a city skyline, mountains, passengers, or if you're lucky, wildlife. In addition to the submission qualifications listed above, each entrant must follow these requirements and rules:
- Your photo:
- Must include at least one vessel in the Washington State Ferries system (in full or partial).
- Will be printed in black and white, so consider how that will look.
- Must have been taken yourself and you have the rights to submit it to this contest.
- May have been taken at any time.
- Do not break any laws or do anything unsafe in order to snap a shot. If you are on a ferry please steer clear of restricted areas, and if driving, please no photographing or Tweeting.
- Do not Tweet a link to an image that has been uploaded to another site.
- Do not send your photo via direct message on Twitter.
- You may submit up to three pictures. If you Tweet more than three, we will only consider the first three shared.
- You will retain rights to your photograph, however our five finalists must agree to grant us rights to use their snapshots for marketing and communication purposes, which will include photo credit. We will never sell your picture.
A panel of judges will select six finalists based on originality, technicality, composition, artistic merit and overall impact. The decision of the panel is subjective, final and cannot be appealed.
The finalists’ pictures will be posted on the @wsferries Twitter page at noon Monday, Oct. 14. The image with the most “likes” at noon Friday, Oct. 18, will be named the winner and their photo will be featured on our 2020 winter schedules!