It’s a recurring theme during this time of year: another summer weekend, another busy time for road work and events throughout the state. Whether it’s the excitement of sporting events or the buzz of an occasional festival, there’s always something going on, and there’s always roadwork to account for.
This weekend is especially busy, though, and I’m not just saying that because I have my fantasy football draft. Besides Hempfest in Seattle, there are several festivals and the second weekend of students moving in to WSU in Pullman. Add to that a large amount of lane and road closures in the Puget Sound area and across the state, and getting around could be a challenge.
So what’s happening? Here’s the lowdown:
- The SR 99 Aurora bridge will be reduced to a single lane in each direction from 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19, as crews continue a major paving project.They will pave the southbound lanes on the north end of the bridge. This work is dependent on dry weather.
- All lanes of the southbound SR 99 tunnel will close from 10 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday for routine maintenance that includes checking the jet fans, cameras and overhead signs and cleaning the tunnel.
- Two lanes of the southbound I-5 Ship Canal Bridge will close from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m. nightly on Friday and Saturday as our maintenance crews make repairs to the bridge deck.
- All lanes of eastbound I-90 between I-5 in Seattle and Island Crest Way on Mercer Island will close from 10 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Sunday for inspection of the safety systems inside the Mercer Lid and maintenance in the Mount Baker tunnel. All ramps to eastbound I-90 between I-5 and Island Crest Way will also close but the Island Crest Way on-ramps will be open.
- All lanes of northbound I-405 between NE 10th Street and Main Street will close from 11:59 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday as Sound Transit removes a temporary structure as part of their light rail project. The northbound I-405 ramp to NE 8th Street will close from 10 p.m. Friday to 11:59 p.m. Saturday as well. During the full highway closure, traffic will use the collector-distributor lanes to get around the work area.
|Northbound I-405 will be closed in Bellevue this weekend for Sound Transit work.|
Drivers using I-90 across Snoqualmie Pass should expect heavy weekend traffic including students returning to WSU, as well as lane closures for summer paving and construction work across the corridor.
A traffic shift putting southbound I-5 into its final configuration near SR 16 in Tacoma is scheduled to take place from 10 p.m. Saturday to 10 a.m. Sunday. Drivers will see some lane and ramp closures as this work is happening and should slow down and be alert for road workers.
The second of two weekend-long closures of SR 500 is scheduled from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday. The eastbound highway will be closed between NE Thurston Way and I-5 as crews repave the roadway. Drivers should plan on taking alternate routes.
One lane of I-90 over the Latah Bridge/Hangman Creek will be closed intermittently from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday for bridge inspections. Drivers should expect delays during this work.
So should I just stay home?
No! Well you could if that sounds good, but it looks like a beautiful weekend and we want people to get out and enjoy. It’ll just take some planning.
- Visit our travel alerts page for details on closures.
- Download our mobile app for information about construction, active blocking incidents, toll rates, ferry info, mountain passes – OK, there’s a lot there.
- Follow us on Twitter. We have several accounts covering most of your travel needs.
- If possible, consider using transit, carpooling, walk or bike.
Yes, it’s going to be busy, and in some cases challenging to get where you need to go. We appreciate everyone’s patience as we take advantage of the dry weather to get as much done as we can before the wetter months roll in.