You know the drill! Summer and road construction go hand in hand here in the Pacific Northwest and that's definitely true in Clark County. Our larger paving jobs are done during the summer months because we need hot, dry weather to get a roadway surface built to last. There are going to be times when getting where you want to go will be a bit of a challenge, but a little planning can go a long way in helping you get around.
|Locations of summer highway construction in Clark County|
|Damaged pavement on southbound I-5 near Kalama on Friday, Feb. 17|
Bridge resurfacing on southbound I-5 near Woodland and Kalama
resurface the bridge decks, replace expansion joints, install new waterproof membranes (adding protection to the infrastructure of the road) and apply new pavement markings.
- During construction, scheduled to begin on Monday, July 24, you'll encounter daytime single-lane closures and overnight double-lane closures through the work zones.
- For everyone's safety, the speed limit will be reduced to 60 mph in the area until the work is completed this fall. Please be sure to slow down and give crews room to work.
reviving the road this summer. More than 30,000 vehicles use this stretch of highway every day, so we work to keep disruptions to a minimum.
Lane closure details
- Westbound lanes will close Friday, Aug. 18 to the morning of Monday, Aug. 21: The westbound lanes of Padden Parkway between Northeast 162nd Avenue and Northeast 117th Avenue will close from 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 18, until 5 a.m. Monday, Aug.21. Due to the closures, north and southbound traffic will not be permitted to cross Padden Parkway between Northeast 162nd Avenue and Northeast 117th Avenue.
- Friday, Aug. 18, Saturday, Aug. 19 and Sunday, Aug. 20: Drivers on westbound Northeast Ward Road will not be able to turn left onto Northeast 162th Avenue from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Eastbound lanes will close Friday, Aug. 25 to the morning of Monday, Aug. 28: The eastbound lanes of Padden Parkway between Northeast 117th Avenue and Northeast 162nd Avenue will close from 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 25 until 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 28. Due to the closures, north and southbound traffic will not be permitted to cross Padden Parkway between Northeast 162nd Avenue and Northeast 117th Avenue.
- Friday, Aug. 25, Saturday, Aug. 26 and Sunday, Aug. 27: Drivers on northbound Northeast 162th Avenue will not be able to turn right onto Northeast Ward Road or turn left onto westbound Padden Parkway from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m.Daytime and overnight lane closures on both directions of the highway will be in place for resurfacing work starting in mid-July through the fall. During the closures, people should plan to use alternate routes and expect delays. The work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled due to rain.
- The popular shared use path on the south side of Padden Parkway in this location will close from 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 18 until 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 28 while new ADA ramps are installed.
Resurfacing SR 501 between 26th Street to the end of the highway
Sections of SR 501 – also known as NW Lower River Road – in Vancouver are cracked and rutted. Beginning on Friday, July 14, crews will resurface the road by applying a hot layer of rocks and asphalt on top of the roadway surface, which protects the roadbed from things like water and ice.
- If you drive or bike this stretch of roadway, you'll alternate through a single lane of the highway daily during daytime hours.
- There will be loose gravel on the roadway. As with any highway construction project, use caution in the work zone.
- The speed limit through the area will be temporarily reduced from 55 mph to 35 mph.
- Sign up to receive email updates about all of these projects.
- Check your route before heading out the door on our mobile app or our construction web page.
- Research if there are other routes you might take to avoid construction.
- If you decide to travel on roads and highways under construction, give yourself extra time.