By Caitlin Morris
Ever since the I-405 Express Toll Lanes opened in September 2015, we've been listening to your feedback and suggestions for how we can improve the system. While we can't make every change, when we see an opportunity to improve the system, we want to do it.
Starting Thursday night, our contractor's crews will continue making adjustments to the express toll lanes based on your feedback.
From Comments to Construction
Here's what we've been hearing from you and how we're changing the system to improve your trip:
- Comment: I have a hard time exiting northbound I-405 to get to I-5. There isn't enough room.
- Change: We're pulling back 425 feet of striping to allow additional room and time for drivers to exit the express toll lanes and merge over to I-5. See map item 1.
- Comment: On southbound I-405, I can't tell where the express toll lanes end in Bellevue.
- Change: We're adding "Exit Only" wording to the pavement on the southbound express toll lanes at Northeast 6th Street in Bellevue to alert solo drivers that they need to merge to the right lane to continue south on I-405. See map item 2.
- Comment: There isn't enough room to exit and enter the express toll lanes on northbound I-405 between NE 195th Street and SR 527.
- Change: We're improving express toll lane access in that area by extending the access points by a little over 400 feet to give drivers additional time to merge in and out of the system. See map item 3.
Making modifications to the express toll lanes is not new. Ever since they opened in September we've been making modifications like the ones above based upon our observations and your feedback. Some of the improvements we've made so far include:
- Northbound I-405 at Northeast 6th Street — We improved pavement marking and provided longer access to provide a clearer entry point and allow drivers more time to get into the express toll lane system. See map item 4.
- Southbound I-405 at SR 527 — We added 500 feet of access room to allow traffic to enter the system earlier and aid in decreasing congestion. See map item 5.
- Southbound I-405 at Northeast 160th Street — We added additional pavement markings at 160th at the beginning of the two lane section of the express toll lanes to help drivers clearly see the transition. See map item 6.
We know many of you have other areas you'd like addressed, and we're still listening and looking at more options. We've heard a lot of feedback about the merge from SR 520 to northbound I-405. In the next two months we will be adjusting the express toll lane access point and lengthening it to provide more open entry into the express toll lanes. This change will relieve some of the congestion in the general purpose lanes in the SR 520 interchange area.
Stay tuned for more information about the feedback-driven improvements we're making to the system. Wherever you're headed, our goal is to give you an option to get there faster.