Note: This post has been updated from the original version to reflect new hours of operation for the I-405 express toll lanes.
Anyone can use the I-405 express toll lanes. You don’t need a pass to pay the toll, but you might want one. And what if you want to ride for free as a carpool? We know you still have questions, so we compiled the top 5 things you need to know about passes and the express toll lanes below. Also, check out the first episode of Backseat Driver, where we talked to two commuters to answer their questions about passes.
Here are the top 5 things you need to know:
- You don’t need a pass to use the lanes when tolls are being collected – enter the lanes anytime without a pass or an account and you’ll receive a bill in the mail for the toll and a $2.00 fee. Any Good To Go! pass will work to pay the toll – so if you tend to ride alone and you have a Good To Go! Sticker pass, you’re all set.
- The Flex Pass is the ONLY way carpoolers travel free in the express toll lanes during operating hours - when you are carpooling, you can flip the Flex Pass to HOV mode for a free trip. Remember, you must have the required number of passengers in your vehicle for the free trip: at least three people weekdays from 5-9 a.m., two or more people from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., and three or more people from 3-7 p.m.
- The express toll lanes are open to all at night from 7pm – 5am and all day on weekends. You do not need a pass or a carpool at these times.
- You can use the Flex Pass on any toll facility – it gives you the options to pay the toll or ride free as a carpool in the express toll lanes and the SR 167 HOT Lanes. It also works to pay the toll on all other state facilities.
- You only need ONE Good To Go! pass in your vehicle – All Good To Go! passes, whether it’s the Sticker Pass or the Flex Pass, work to pay the toll on all state toll facilities: SR 520 bridge, Tacoma Narrows Bridge, SR 167 HOT Lanes and the I-405 express toll lanes. If you’re worried about having the option to ride for free, see #4 above.