Just one more weekend to go and that's it for full directional detours of Interstate 90 across Lake Washington until October.
We want you to be on time to watch the Mariners sweep the Red Sox this weekend, so be sure to leave early, consider alternate routes and please be patient. From 11 p.m. Friday, May 15 to 5 a.m. Monday, May 18, contractor crews will continue making upgrades in the Mount Baker and Mercer Island tunnels as part of the I-90 Two-Way Transit and HOV project.
|Workers have been making significant upgrades to the infrastructure |
in the I-90 tunnels during the full weekend directional detours.
Now, while we won't have any full directional closures until the fall, that doesn't mean we won't be working. We'll still have lane closures and we'll still be getting a lot done.
- We'll continue upgrading the fire suppression systems inside the tunnels.
- We're modifying the tunnels in order to install a new ventilation system.
- Lighting in the tunnels and on the highway will be upgraded.
- Work will start to realign the existing reversible ramp connecting the express lanes to Island Crest Way to become an eastbound HOV off-ramp.
- Installation work for new roadway sign bridges will begin.
|Among the work happening in the I-90 tunnels |
is upgrading the lighting to improve visibility.
We can get this work done without having to do the major closures that were required over the past few months. But remember, those full weekend detours begin again in October and we have 25 more scheduled through mid-2017. We'll continue to do the best we can to schedule around events but we have to get this work done in time for Sound Transit to begin constructing light rail across the lake so be sure to stay plugged in on our website and social media channels for updates.