Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Students draw attention to first wildlife overcrossing east of Snoqualmie Pass through social media contest

By Meagan Lott

We team up every year with the I-90 Wildlife Bridges Coalition to educate students about safe wildlife passage along the I-90 Snoqualmie Pass East corridor through different contests.

This year we are launching a social media contest asking students to show how they “Heart I-90 Wildlife” on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

A design visualization of what the I-90 wildlife crossing
will look like when completed in 2020.
Students grades K-12 interested in entering can visit the I-90 Wildlife Bridges Web page, choose one or more species of wildlife native to the Cascade Mountains, illustrate the wildlife and take a photo of it to post on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #iHearti90Wildlife.

Awards will be given in several categories including: best classroom collection; best mammal or bird; best amphibian, reptile or mollusk; most creative entry and people’s choice. Prizes include a GoPro HERO, a customized #iHearti90Wildlife T-shirt and an REI gift card.

The contest runs March 25 to May 11. Winners will be announced in late May.

This summer, we’ll start building the first wildlife crossing over I-90 which is located about 10 miles east of Snoqualmie Pass and is part of the I-90 Snoqualmie Pass East project.